Tuesday, November 9, 2010

A Star On The Rise


"Shut Out The Moon"

EXTRA, EXTRA, read all about it... we got a STAR on the rise! There is not a doubt in my mind that you will not only hear the name Leo Li again, but you will see his work on the runways. The 17 year-old designer from New Jersey is the definition of raw talent. After merely glancing at a few of his sketches my cynical self has never been so positive; this young designer is something special. He has that je ne sais quoi, no?  That quality, no matter how many classes you take, can not be taught. Leo Li's work is absolutely impeccable. Frankly, after learning he never once took a class relating to fashion, his collections become even more awe-aspiring. So, how does one go about articulating the intense passion and creativity of fresh talent?  You don't, you let it speak for its self... Ladies and gentleman, I present to you, the work of Leo Li! If you would like to contact Leo Li,  email him at Loeza_atelier@yahoo.com!


"Shut Out The Moon"


"This collection is based off of Monsieur Adi’s remix of Spark’s 'Shut Out The Moon'. I thought of wolves when I saw the word 'moon', so incorporated fur into the look (if I had to make the fur coats, I’d use faux-fur, unless it’s requested to be real). I continued to link wolves to Native Americans, which I imagine to be warriors. That’s when I threw in the ridged fabric, because it looks badass, and warriors are badass. I think gladiators are warriors, so I thought strappy footwear would be appropriate. I hit a couple of trends spot on without realizing it; the strappy sandals, the coat, and the ridged effect. What I totally missed was the return of the kitten heel. I don’t like kitten heels, for the most part."


“Hedonism of the Upper Worlds”


"Inspired by Monsieur Adi’s remix of Overthrill’s “Upper Worlds feat. Miss Wonder” and Monsieur Adi’s own fantastic 'Hedonism'. The collection plays with the idea of luxury, pleasure and sexuality, using Roman and Greek inspired motifs clashed with a futuristic look. At one point, I thought, “if I was to be the costume designer for a remake of Caligula, how would I dress the cast?”. So, some looks are extremely risqué and tasteless. I was thinking about incorporating menswear too, since I don’t do too much of that, but I’d probably have them walk naked anyway."

“Place For Us”


"This is probably the first “collection” I designed. Based off Monsieur Adi’s remix of Reni Lane’s song. The remix is one of my all time favorites. With Reni Lane’s boyish voice, I knew I had to work with menswear. With the romantic feel of the song, I incorporated roses. The song also has a dark, melancholic feel. So, I looked towards vampires, specifically Count Dracula and his high collared coat. With the awesome guitar solo which reminds me of classic rock, I threw in leather pants and boots."

The Brodsky Boot 

1 comment:

107110 said...

Extremely talented......