Sunday, December 14, 2008

Cory Kennedy

So, I am not feeling to well, and all I did last night was watch NylonTv. I guess I'm late on this one, but I didn't really know who Cory Kennedy was. All i knew was what I could piece together and the fact that she was all over Nylon. I decided to do some reach search and basically here is the timeline to her fame: June 2005: Fifteen-year-old Cory Kennedy, wearing a coveted yellow mini-dress, goes to see the Blood Brothers at the El Rey Theatre. Gets noticed by photographer Mark Hunter, the Cobra Snake January 2006: Hunter posts photo of Cory smooching with one of the Kings of Leon. Cory becomes Hunter’s girlfriend. More parties, more pictures. Mom insists Cory and Hunter spend more time at her house, where she can keep an eye on them. February 2006: Cory turns 16; fans of thecobrasnake.com, reacting to photos of Cory on the website, wonder who she is. A fashion blogger calls her a “gem” and marvels, “I can’t take my eyes off of her.” A reader responds by directing the blogger to an all-Cory fan site developed by someone in the Netherlands. March 2006: Hunter notices that his Web traffic jumps every time Cory’s picture is posted. They decide to make her a fashion star. April 2006: Cory visits New York with her parents. Hunter meets her there and they visit the editor of Nylon magazine, who asks her to come back to have her picture taken. Her parents are happy she’s happy, but have no idea what Nylon magazine is. June 2006: Nylon publishes a full page of Cory photos. At Urban Outfitters in Westwood, people gape at her as if she’s a star. Internet chatter intensifies. July 2006: The New York Times mentions Cory in an article on interns. Her mother wonders whether Cory as Internet celebrity is bigger than she’d realized. August 2006: Fans hack Cory’s MySpace page. She starts a new one and launches a blog. By month’s end, typical items include an account of a P. Diddy party. September 2006: A video of Cory listening to a Good Charlotte song becomes a cult favorite on YouTube. She and Hunter split, and she starts staying out late with celebrities. Her parents become alarmed. [timeline via LA times] Long story short, I am kinda jealous yet confused. I am jealous that she is considered a modern "fashion icon" at such a young age. Don't get me wrong she seems like a cool girl, but who knows, fame is a strange thing I guess....

8 comments:

Bombchell said...

i always wondered about her parents, and why child service never showed up lol

About me said...

oh man, this made me giggle a little bit!

Carolyn in the City said...

i'm a fan though!

Sammy said...

i mean, i kinda am too... until i heard someone call her the new edie

Anonymous said...

I think shes pretty, i'm a fan.

Sammy said...

oh i agree, again i am a ffan i just dont agree with all the hype for example i dont think she is an icon

etoilee8 said...

You don't want to be like her. When your star rises too quickly, everyone's tired of you in a hot second. The Cory backlash has definitely picked up with urgency. I personally have nothing against her, but I'm getting sick of our generation idolizing people for no good reason. Doesn't say much about us, does it?

Edie Abbot said...

I aspire to have a life as useless as corys
check out my blog
http://granenamorado.blogspot.com/